Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If You Sprain Your Ankle -Go To The Doctor

Several years ago, I sprained my right ankle.  It hurt, bad.  Never having sprained it before, I went to the doctor, just to be sure.  It was just a sprain, take it easy.  So, three weeks ago, I spained my left ankle.  I was taking the dog for a walk, going down the front steps, looking at the moon.  The last step is not very high, not paying attention I thought I was stepping to the sidewalk, not -I stepped on the edge of the step, and turned my ankle, and went down -it hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out.  Luckily Jack did not try to drag me out in the yard.  I managed to get myself inside the house and put ice on it.  I have been living with this ankle, still swollen and sore, couldn't flex my foot, for three weeks.  Of course, during this time I have been walking the dog every morning (except for the first four mornings), raking, weed eating, and general house work.  It really started to worry me that it wasn't getting better, so I made an appointment.  They took x- rays and found out, I broke the talus bone in my foot.  It's a bone in the top of the foot, near the ankle, very important.  That's why it hurt to walk normal flexing my foot.  I have been walking with a stiff left foot all this time which can really wear you out. The x- rays will be looked at by others, and I might have to see someone else, mainly because it's not healing.  For now it is wrapped in velcro, trying to keep it from flexing.  I know the reason it's not healing, I have been doing too much, and for the last few days, trying to walk normal flexing my foot to see if I really needed to go to the doctor.  I am an herbal person, I like to try and help things herbally before I get into prescribed medicine.  I just happen to have some comfrey (knit bone) growing, so I have started making a compress with the leaves so we'll see if that helps with the healing.  I go back to the doctor in two weeks, I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment