Monday, July 11, 2011

What Was It Used For -Jewelite, by The Pro-phy-lac-tic Brush Co.

 
I found this at a sale recently, of course I had to buy it.  But, I have no idea what it is -it is made by the Pro-phy-lac-tic Brush Company.  They were established in 1866 in the health care business.  They made toothbrushes, hairbrushes, and later toilet sets -combs, brushes, hand mirrors, powder boxes, and more.  In 1940 they began to use the name Jewelite on their products.  This piece has Jewelite 509 USA on the bottom, but I haven't been able to find any information on what it might be.  The plastic insert does slide out, and there is some room in the slot where you could possibly fit two of them -some type of picture frame?  Any ideas, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, My Dad was lab director at Pro Brush and we have this 2 sided picture frame also. There is a picture of me on one side and my siblings on the other. I didn't realize it was from Pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I wondered if someone had added the plastic insert. Now we know! That is the only piece I have run across from this company. Thank you

      Delete