Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What Is It -Silver Bowl? by the Rockford Silver Plate Co.









I found this at the market this weekend. The man I purchased it from was trying to tell me something about spices.  I don't know if he was serious or not.  I have absolutely no idea what it was used for. But I just love the detail on it.  There are elves or cherubs riding goats on the bowl area, along with grape vines.  The pole has a vine and leaves, you raise the ladder like piece on the pole to raise and move the cover.  It's just so unusual.  There are some pieces missing, some of the leaves are missing from the lid, and something from the top of the pole is missing.  It was made by the Rockford Silver Plate Co., guessing late 1800's, early 1900's.  If you have any idea, or want to make a guess please let me know what you think it was used for!

No comments:

Post a Comment