Sunday, September 26, 2010

Into The Unknown -My Own Website




I am a vintage seller on etsy, and I love selling there.  But I have begun to wonder, what if?  What would happen if I had my own vintage website. It would give me more freedom of what I listed, and how I list my items. Things are so up and down on etsy, one month is extremely good, the next is extremely slow.
I tried to research in the forums on etsy, but it seems most of the people starting webs make jewelry, and lots of those sites are just linked back to their etsy shop. So, I looked and looked at templates, and I looked at different web hosting, there are many out there, I finally picked Shoppe Pro. They have an area for you to make your own template or design for your site, I started with that, but I just wasn't happy with what I was coming up with.  I looked through the different designers they offer, and looked, and looked. I wanted a rustic looking template, but wound up picking one completely in the opposite direction.  When I saw this one it just spoke -restful. So, I purchased it about two weeks ago.  It is still in the beginning stages, there is a lot more behind the scenes to take care of than you realize.  There is a shopping cart, I got that set up, still having some slight issues.  Then another site to deal with shipping charges, changes to make with paypal.  Changes on the hosting site to make to your site.  But overall, I have really enjoyed the process.  I am learning, trying to stay relaxed about it, and enjoy it.  I don't know if it will get noticed, or how things will go, but there is only one way to find out! Go for it!  I will still keep my etsy shop, I thought I would move certain items and leave others there.  My new site is http://marthasvintageattic.com/  if you would like to check it out.  I don't have any items listed yet, just a picture of a crow I just happened to pick to practice with.  I was trying to check everything out to see if it worked properly.  A few bugs to fix but the Shoppe Pro site has been very helpful. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment