Monday, March 29, 2010

Rabbit In Cabbage Automata

There is an old movie that is one of my favorites -"You Can't Take It With You", with Lionel Barrymore, Jean Arthur, and Jimmy Stewart, to name a few. In one scene they show a wind up toy rabbit, popping his head up out of a head of cabbage. I can't believe I found not one, but two of those toy rabbits this weekend. These are from the early 1900's at least. The blue one has a key but he is not working, and I have no key for the poor green one. He's looking a little rough, I think the moths may have gotten to him a bit. I'm going to see if I can send them to the rabbit hospital, depends on the fees. But they are just wonderful to enjoy looking at!




rabbit in cabbage

When they are working, you wind them up with the key, then pull the lever out, music plays and the rabbits head comes up, the ears move, the one in green munches some of his cabbage. There are several videos online that show some in action.


you can't take it with you

2 comments:

  1. Love these. Wondering if you'd sell the green one as is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest, they have both since been restored and sold!

    ReplyDelete