Monday, February 1, 2010

Locked In And Forgotten In An Antique Shop


So, I'm dreaming of spring since we have 10 inches of snow on the ground, and thinking about spring made me remember something that happened last year on a warm spring day. A beautiful warm day I decided to head south to a small town with several antique shops. Enjoying the warm beautiful day I go into the second shop -just ahead of me are two women and a child, they are greeted by the owner and head left, I am greeted by the owner and I slowly head towards the right and back of the store. I can spend hours in one good shop and I like to take my time and look. A short time later I hear the women and child leave the store, then I hear another woman come in and she spends some time talking to the owner, and then she leaves. Just after she leaves I hear the door shut again, I just know this was the owner going out. So, at first I thought she just went out to check something posted on the door or in the window, then - I hear the dead bolt lock! I rushed to the front of the store, but she is gone. There is a note on the door, "Gone to the bank, back in a few minutes". Well, I know how many a "few" minutes are -could be an hour. And, no I can't leave the store because the dead bolt is locked with a key. I started looking around in shock, I don't even know the name of the store I am in! Just then a gentleman is heading for his truck in front of the store, I knocked on the door glass, got his attention and asked him if he was from the area. I thought if he knew the owner, he could go and find her. No, he wasn't from there, but he would go back across the street and find someone for me. So, he brought a security guard back with him, I explained what was going on, and of course he had to ask me the question -"is there a key in the dead bolt", sure it is I just wanted to stir up some trouble. I really didn't like being in the store with no one there because I didn't want to be accused of stealing something. The security guard was new to the area so he went and found a policeman, lucky for me a crowd did not start to gather. The policeman asked the usual questions, can you get out, is this your store? Finally they asked if I could get out the back door, I didn't know. So I checked the back door and yes I could open it, I went back to the front and told them yes I could open the back door. So they told me to go out the back and come around and meet them. So I did, locking the back door behind me. I was stressed -and offered to let them check my purse to be sure I had taken nothing, they laughed and said I didn't look the type and no they didn't need to check my purse. They saw the owner coming up the sidewalk, I had no desire to go into another explanation about my lock up so I headed in the opposite direction to my car and went home!

Let me know if you have had any similar experiences -I didn't think it was funny at the time, but now I can laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment